RGS Lecture on Hong Kong’s geological history

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 THE ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY – HONG KONG is hosting  a presentation by Dr Raynor Shaw and Professor Bernie Owen on “Hong Kong Landscapes: 400 Million Years of Geological History”. It will be at  2/F Olympic House, So Kong Po, Causeway Bay, with a Drinks Reception at 6.30 pm followed by the  Lecture at 7.30 pm.

According to the promotional email:

In this lecture, Dr Shaw and Professor Owen provide an overview of the 400 million year geological history of Hong Kong and how that legacy has given rise to the varied scenery that occurs today. Past environments ranged from warm shelf seas to deep oceans, and from extensive river floodplains to arid desert basins. Within these markedly different environments was squeezed a geologically brief episode that had the most profound effect upon the physical landscape, and the subsequent economic development, of Hong Kong. For 25 million years, between about 165 and 140 million years ago, Hong Kong was shaped by violently explosive volcanoes. The volcanic and granitic rocks formed during this period now underlie 85% of the territory, the remaining 15% being underlain by sedimentary rocks.

The  scenery of eastern Hong Kong, which is very impressive,  is apparently going to be added to the UNESCO World Geoparks List, and their presentation will help to show why.

If you’re interested, the lecture will cost HK$100 for Members and HK$150 for guests and others.

Click here for The Royal Geographical Society – Hong Kong’s website.

About Neil Hambleton

I am a British Sub-Aqua Club (BSAC) Advanced Diver and an Open Water Instructor. I have been diving since 1992, after joining South China Diving Club (SCDC), which is a Hong Kong-based branch of the BSAC. Having moved to New Zealand, I am now a member of BSAC New Zealand.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>